A tough place for women travellers

Filed under: , , by: Coleman

A few days ago while in Luxor I met a girl on one of my tours from Alaska. She was travelling alone and had been for a while. Assumptions about Alaska aside. A few hours after the tour I saw her walking down the main street in Luxor looking pretty miserable. Basically she had been harassed by her hotel manager to the point where she had to leave. In a different case, one girl told me that that the first night she was staying at a hostel the owner made it very clear that it "would be okay" if she slept in his room.
In Dahab, which is like a touch of heven compared to the rest of Egypt - not haggling, no constant "hello, yes, [insert random product] yes, hello." - I was at the super market and with some people and one girl got groped full on in the middle of a busy supermarket...being a woman traveller here seems pretty miserable.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments: