Indiana Jones and got Sh*t on Me

Filed under: , , by: Coleman


Petra is easily one of the coolest places I've ever been. It's enormous. At some parts it really feels like you are on a different planet. The colors of the rocks are amazing - like someone painted them in really cool pattern.  The buildings are so impressive also. Everything you'd expect to find in Roman-like temples is there, but it's all carved directly into the mountain. I took so many freaking pictures. Every time I walked by the treasury (the one on all the postcards), I couldn't help but take a picture.





I heard from someone I met in Luxor that there's a 125 year old man living in one of the caves behind Petra. Some of the Bedouins still live in the caves instead of in the village that the Jordanian government built. So the first day I was determined to find this guy. And after some haggling and a really painful camel ride, I got to see him. He's old. I didn't get to inspect his birth certificate, but he's a good looking 125. Bedouin diet here I come.





It was a long day of walking. Just to get to the first sight (the treasury), you have to walk for half a mile down the narrow siq. It's cool, but sometimes you just want to get to the sights.

1 comments:

On April 7, 2010 at 3:38 AM , Scott Feinberg said...

Jon, I love that you tracked down the 125 year old man! How cool!